Sunday, May 8, 2011

The life of a teacher....

As I count down the days left in the school year (12 to be exact!), I started to think about all the different aspects of being a teacher. Only as a teacher can you train your bladder to feel a sense of urgency exactly TWO times a day. Only as a teacher can you eat lunch in 12 minutes flat, while answering emails and controlling 27 ten year olds. Only as a teacher can you have parents blame you for their child's behavior in the classroom, on the bus, AND at home! Only as a teacher can you hear whispers behind your back and know EXACTLY who was talking, what they were saying, and why it isnt appropriate. Only as a teacher can you teach a child the required curriculum all while teaching them not to pick their nose, pass gas, hit the person next to them, and still maintain patience. LASTLY, only in MY CLASSROOM can you have the following conversations:

Teacher: Dear(student's name), this conversation is making me want to jump off a bridge!
Student: Mrs. Freeman, that is amazing....can I please drive you to that bridge!

Teacher: Dear (student's name), you have started tap dancing on my last nerve....
Student: ohhh man, I didnt know I knew how to tap dance, I was hoping to jump and land on your last nerve!

Teacher:  Okay (student's name), please listen this time. I have given these directions 12 times.
Student: Well, I guess you need a little more patience. Twelve doesnt sound like alot

Teacher: (Students name), why are you making those weird noises?
Student: What noises?
Other Student: Havent you met him, we got a class of whackos!

Teacher: How was your weekend, (student's name)?
Student: You want the truth or you want me to tell you it was okay?
Teacher: What do you mean? Was it bad?
Student: No it was awesome, but if I told you the truth I would probably get in trouble, so Ill just lie and say it was fine!

Student: Can I show you how to do this (whatever the popular dance was at the time)
Teacher: Sure (teacher tries to dance)
Student: ummmmm, you are definitely white!

Student: Why do white girls have different hair than black girls?
Teacher: What do you mean?
Student: white girls never hit their heads when they itch and they cant take their hair out in the middle of class, thats boring!

and my very favorite......
Student: Mrs. Freeman, you got a hot legs!

Okay, so it sounds like my classroom is crazy, and that is because it is! God has blessed me with this group of kids. They are funny, keep me guessing, and definitely keep me praying!! I am so excited for summer but I will be honest, I will miss these sweet kids when they venture to Drake Middle School.

I promise, all those conversations have really happened in the last few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I think we should get all our teacher friends together and write a book. Among the handful of us, I can't begin to imagine the stories we could tell!!

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete